Traveling and vacations are a great way to relax from our busy and monotonous lives. But for many, traveling and exploring different places is life. Few choose to travel by air, few by road, etc. according to their comforts. For people who travel frequently, there is one thing we miss and almost consider not important and that is Travel Insurance.
We tend to ignore buying travel insurance because according to the Indian mindset, it is only an extra tactic to increase our bill amount. We fail to look at its positives and advantages and end up traveling without one. If in an unfortunate incident you are in trouble in a foreign land and you have been robbed or a medical emergency or luggage problem, etc. it will be very difficult for you to get help in any of these cases. In a medical situation it is more difficult because of the currency exchange and custom duties, etc. In case of robbery, until you get a passport or clearance from the Indian embassy, you are in big trouble.
A travel insurance can be a savior in all these unfortunate incidents. It offers you protection financially and medically against all odds that you may face during your trip. We are not saying that it will happen, but it’s smart to be prepared for such events. Many websites have different names and definitions for this but it is important to know the concept in its basic form.
Buying a comprehensive trip insurance policy will secure you from any loss/damage incurred, which would create a financial burden otherwise. It will essentially secure you and provide you cover under the following circumstances:
- Medical Expenses
- Personal Accident
- Loss of Passport
- Loss of Checked-in Baggage
- Theft/Loss of Personal Belongings
- Trip Cancellation & Curtailment
While travelling abroad, you surely would want to come back home with a bucket of happy memories. Right from your first flight to the stay and to the return journey, you can ensure a safe and hassle-free journey with a travel policy that comes to your rescue under any adversities.
While you are planning your next trip, ensure that you buy a comprehensive trip insurance policy, which will provide you with compensation in case of any unfortunate accidents/mishap occurred during the journey. Troubles on foreign soil do not sound exciting. Besides, when it comes to uncertainties there is surely no end to it. Right from any natural calamity, man-made calamity to any malevolent act, a traveller can witness any of it at any point of time. In case you encounter such risky situations, it can drain you financially, physically and emotionally unless you have a trip insurance policy.
A famous saying goes if you cannot afford travel insurance policy then you cannot afford travelling. This is apt as eventualities do not come knocking. While planning your next trip itinerary, buying insurance for your journey needs to be on the priority list.
Remember, insurance is an investment, and when you buy a travel policy online, you are investing for the benefit of yourself and your loved ones.
So, get, set and go. Compare & buy a travel insurance policy online sitting in your comfort zone and customize it based on your requirements.
Do not take off until you are insured.
Benefits of Travel Insurance Policies
If you buy travel insurance online, you can certainly enjoy a number of benefits for sure. But before you buy travel insurance, it is advisable to compare various travel insurance plans online from different top travel insurance companies to get the best travel policy online. Find out some of the best benefits of travel insurance policies online.
- Covers Overseas Emergency Medical and Hospital Costs:In case you need to go to the hospital suddenly because of an injury or illness in the course of your trip, your travel insurance will provide coverage for hospital stays, emergency dental treatment and surgery.
- Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance:Travel insurance policies provide 24 hour cover for medical evacuations, funeral arrangements, ambulances and more.
- Family Emergency:You will be covered for your unforeseen travel expenses in such cases where a close relative or the person you’re on the trip with dies unpredictably, or is injured or disabled and needs to be hospitalized.
- Cover for Your Travelling Companion:If due to illness or injury your travelling companion can no longer continue with their holiday, any unforeseen travel expenses or accommodation would be reimbursed by travel insurance company.
- Covers Accommodation and Travel Expenses:If you witness such circumstances where you incur an injury or get sick and cannot reach home, your travel insurance will cover the unforeseen additional travel costs and accommodation charges.
- Resumption of Journey:If a situation develops where you need to go back home due to a death in the family, or severe sickness that requires an emergency hospitalization or hospital stay and they are a close family member, your flights will be covered by the travel insurance policy so you can return home without any complication.
- Accidental Death:God forbid, but in case you die within the 12 months of your trip because of an injury sustained in the course of your trip, a death payment is offered by the travel insurance companies given that you bought travel policy prior to the commencement of your journey.
- Hospital Cash Allowance:You will be given an amount per day if you’re hospitalized for more than 2 days during your holidays overseas.
- Loss of Income:If you get injured in the course of your trip and can no longer work, your travel insurance plan will offer you a loss of income benefit for a specific period of time.
- Credit Card Fraud and Replacement:Your online travel insurance policy will reimburse any costs to replace your credit cards in case of any fraudulent use, if they are stolen or lost during your trip.
- Permanent Disability:A disability payment will be paid to you for at least 12 months after your homecoming if you lose your sight or any of your limbs during your holiday.
- Luggage, Personal Effects and Delays:You will be covered under your travel insurance online plan if your things are stolen or lost during your trip. In such circumstances where your luggage or baggage gets delayed for more than 12 hours and you need to buy some clothes or other important things, your travel insurance online policy will reimburse these costs too (in moderation).
- Rental Vehicle Excess:If you hire a car while you are on a trip and it gets stolen, or you meet an unfortunate accident, your travel insurance online will pay for the rental vehicle excess which could go anywhere up to $5,000!
- Travelers Cheques, Theft of Cash & Travel Documents Cover:Your travel policy will reimbursed any costs to replace your travel documents, passport, travelers cheques etc if they gets stole or lost in the course of your trip. You will be covered in case your cash gets stolen as well.
- Cancellation Fees and Lost Deposits:Your travel insurance online policy will cover against any lost deposits and cancellation fees for your pre-paid travel arrangements, in case you cannot make your flights or planned accommodation because of circumstances that goes out of your control like injuries, sickness, natural disasters or strikes etc.
- Alternative Transport:Your alternative transport expenses will be reimbursed under your travel insurance policy if you face delay and cannot make a pre-planned event such as a funeral, wedding, conference or any pre-paid tour.
- Personal Liability:Travel insurance online also offers coverage for legal liability including damage to property of other persons or legal expenses for bodily injuries as a result of a claim raised against you.
- Disruption of Your Journey:In such cases where your flight gets delayed for more than 6 hours, your travel insurance online will reimburse the expenses for your food and any unforeseen accommodation you might need to pay for.
Types of Travel Insurance Plans in India
While buying a trip insurance policy is important to ensure a hassle-free journey, it is more crucial to understand the various types of insurance policies offerred to travellers in India. They have been designed to cater to the need of its every citizen right from a child, adult, student, to a senior citizen, etc.
Let us take you through the different types of travel insurance policies available in India:
On the Basis of Geographical Border:
This type of insurance plan is meant for people travelling within the geographical borders of India. It protects individuals as well as families travelling within the Indian states from unforeseen financial emergencies. It provides coverage including medical cover, loss of baggage and personal accident cover amongst others.
This type of insurance plan covers individuals and families travelling overseas. It provides a wide range of coverage including medical expenses, dental expenses, financial cash assistance, flight delays, loss of passport, personal liability, loss or delay check-in baggage and hijack distress allowance. Several insurers also offer home insurance to the traveller’s house back in India as a part of this insurance plan.
It is a customized insurance that covers people travelling to one or more than one Schengen countries. It protects the insured travellers from any unforeseen emergencies that may lead to incurring financial losses. Some of the most common coverage provided under this type of trip insurance includes medical cover, loss of passport, delay in check-in baggage arrival, loss of check-in baggage, personal liability, personal accident cover and accidental death & dismemberment (common carrier.
On the Basis of Type of Travellers:
This type of insurance plan is designed especially for families travelling overseas together. It usually covers the policyholder, his/ her spouse and his dependent children. The sum insured is mostly available in both individual and family floater basis. All insured members of a family can avail covers including medical expenses, loss of passport, personal liability, loss or delay of check-in baggage and many more.
This type of insurance plan has been tailor-made, especially, for the elderly people. Most travel insurance companies cover travellers above the ages of 60 under such policies. It protects such travellers from unpredictable financial emergencies including medical expenses, dental expenses, repatriation of mortal remains, loss or delay of check-in baggage, etc.
Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions:
How to select a Travel Insurance?
There a number of travel Insurance providers and it is easy to be confused. First thing to do is compare the plans based on the requirement of your trip. Search for the optional coverage that are important for your trip and the destination you are traveling to. A lot of factor come to play while selecting a plan like, number of people traveling, age, medical ailment, weather of the destination, etc.
What is Travel Insurance?
Travel insurance is an essential insurance that one buys to protect him/her against unexpected travel accidents, medical expenditures, baggage loss or delayed arrival of luggage, passport and other documents loss, flight delays, etc.
When to get Travel Insurance?
It is advisable to get the travel insurance the time you plan to purchase your tickets. But usually if you purchase within 15 days of your traveling date it is sufficient. If you are also purchasing a plan to cover the loss from trip cancellation, it is recommended that you do it after paying the first trip payment. Research thoroughly and purchase a plan that will suffice for all emergencies that may occur on your trip.
Which is the lowest priced travel insurance plan?
Usually a standard travel Insurance policy for a normal vacation can be purchased in the lowest price after comparing. But if the requirements are different for your trip, the premium and purchase cost also increases.
Who can buy Travel Insurance?
Any person who is aged above 3 years (in some cases 90 day’s infants) to 80 years of age can buy travel insurance. If you are traveling from India, it is recommended that you buy here.
What are the types of travel insurance?
Individual Travel Insurance, Family Travel Insurance, Student Travel Insurance, Group Travel Insurance, Medical Travel Insurance, International Travel Insurance, Domestic Travel Insurance, Corporate Travel Insurance, Single Trip Travel Insurance, Multi- Travel Insurance, Senior citizen Travel Insurance.
Which travel insurer is better?
There are some key features to determine who the best travel insurance provider are. It should provide you cover against last minute detour of your trip or delay, cancellation of flights, transportation for accommodation and expenses related to same, policy that gives you cover for medical emergencies when you are in a foreign land. Some of the best travel insurance providers are Bharti AXA, ICICI Lombard, HDFC ERGO, Cholamandalam Insurance and Oriental Insurance.
Can I cancel Travel Insurance?
Yes, you can cancel your travel Insurance only if you have not taken any trip under that policy purchase. You will have to submit your passport as a proof of the same. The insurance company will refund your amount after deducting administrative costs.
What if I forget to carry your Travel Insurance?
If you forget the travel insurance policy, you should at least have the details of the policy number, your customer ID, etc. to avail the benefits. But it is advised that you check thrice before you pack your bag for IDs and other trip related documents.
Is loss of passport covered?
Yes, in every standard travel plan loss of passport is covered. The expenses towards procuring a duplicate or temporary passport is also covered under the policy.
Can I get refund if I cut short my tour?
This depends on each insurance provider as it is subject to terms and conditions. Check with your insurance provider before signing the document.
Can I get emergency financial assistance on my travel to abroad?
Yes, the insured person will be given emergency cash to the limit mentioned in the insurance. This benefit can be availed if the person has been mugged, robbery, etc. On contacting the company, they will contact the service provider in the place to help you in the situation.
Will visa suffice to get have International Travel Insurance?
Generally most of the insurance providers approve for travel insurance on visa basis.
Is cashless hospitalisation facility available under travel Insurance?
Yes, in case of medical emergency this benefit can be utilized on producing the insurance copy to the hospital.
Is it possible to get more than one policy for the same trip?
If you are a frequent flyer, you can opt for multi-trip travel insurance policy. An individual can be provided with only one single policy per trip.